Saturday, June 30, 2012

I haven't posted here since, well... it's been a very long time.  They theme may change a little, as I was just reading research that writing about problems is much more effective than talking about them.  Along the same correlation, the "power of positive thinking" is not really as effective for goal planning as writing about them.

One researcher told a story about counting our blessings, all the reasons we should be thankful to Allah.  She  used the analogy of walking into a room filled with the scent of freshly baked bread.  We appreciate the scent, but gradually get use to it.  Gifts are very similar, we adjust, and start to take them for granted.  Writing journals expressing thankfulness is akin to stepping outside for several minutes, enjoying the fresh air, then re-entering and experiencing that fresh smell of bread all over.  InshaAllah, I will start with the process through the days of the week:
     Monday:  Thanksgiving
           List at least three things I am thankful for from the past week.
     Tuesday:  Terrific Times
           Write about a wonderful experience in my life.
     Wednesday:  Future Fantastic
           Write about a realistic goal, or dream.
      Thursday:  Dear...
            Write a short letter to a person important describing how much I care, and their impact on my life.
     Friday:  Review the situation
            Think back over the past seven days, and make a note of three things that went really well.

So I get a bit of a break, since this is only Saturday :) but hear's to writing my way through a couple of bad choices, and back into my usual happy-go-lucky self.  Alhumdulillah, it has been a stressful time, and also a time where growth is needed.  I pray Allah guides me, and all my brothers and sisters by our forelocks to a life that is pleasing to Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment