Monday, November 03, 2008

Assalamu Alaikum!

YAY! I got to present algebras in analysis. A couple of classmates weren't ready, as algebras an abstract jump that caused me headaches the first time. My problem was easy enough, and I worked through the problem step by step to show something was a sigma algebra. Afterward, a couple of people expressed appreciation, since their problem was similar and they were struggling with how to start.

In class, I have been teaching elementary statistics, and reading graphs. To break the pattern, I let the students skim the section today, had each table of students write a problem, and one or two people present their solutions. This was mostly to get them talking more, and discussing mathematical ideas. For the most part it worked well, and they get away with a day of no homework. However, Friday, I asked them to find an article using statistics, and relate it back to the books guildelines for evaluating the statistical accuracy, so they still have to write something for me.

I am going to go home early, eat with my family, and relax a little before starting homework/grading. It seems so dark now, thanks to daylight savings and falling back an hour.
Tonight, will be reading about "the Bold Move", a strategy for playing roulette. It turns out that this technique produces a continuous, but non-differentiable graph which has some odd characteristics. So I chose it for my analysis presentation on Wednesday.

Wasalam!
~iggry

No comments:

Post a Comment